Electric mountain bikes, also known as e-MTBs, utilize an electric motor and battery to assist riders on the trail. While standard e-MTBs have front suspension only, full suspension electric mountain bikes take the technology further with suspension front and rear. This provides enhanced comfort, control, and capability for tackling rugged terrain.
What is a Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike?
A full suspension electric mountain bike is an electric mountain bike that has suspension integrated into both the front fork and rear frame. This full suspension system allows both wheels to absorb impacts and smooth out bumps when riding over uneven ground. The rear suspension provides up to 6 inches of travel to isolate the rear wheel from bumps, keeping traction optimized.
Full suspension electric mountain bikes combine this plush dual suspension system with an electric pedal-assist motor and battery. The motor provides powered assistance as the rider pedals, helping them climb terrain that would be exhausting or impossible to ascend on a traditional mountain bike. The integrated battery delivers electricity to the motor.
The combination of potent electric pedal assist and plush front plus rear suspension makes full suspension electric mountain bikes the ultimate choice for aggressive trail riding and conquering technical terrain with greater confidence and capabilities. These high-performance machines bring a new level of uphill/downhill performance to electric mountain biking.
Main Features of Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bikes
Full suspension electric mountain bike have defining features that set them apart:
|Dual Suspension Frame||120-150mm of rear wheel travel via integrated suspension system|
|Suspension Fork||130-180mm of front suspension travel soaks up bumps and increases control|
|Mid-Drive Electric Motor||250W to 750W power rating provides pedal assist torque|
|Lithium-ion Battery||500Wh to 1000Wh capacity for extended electric range|
|Dialed Geometry||Carefully engineered angles and measurements for stable handling|
|Hydraulic Disc Brakes||Powerful braking control and modulation in all conditions|
|Maxxis Tires||Wide, staggered, trail-optimized tire widths and tread patterns|
|Advanced Sensors||Input from multiple sensors allows intelligent power delivery|
|Custom Tuning||Refined assistance settings specific for terrain and conditions|
Choose the Right Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike
When selecting a full suspension electric mountain bike, consider:
|Wheel Size||29″ or 27.5″||29″ rolls over obstacles easier; 27.5″ more nimble|
|Motor Power||250W, 500W, 750W||Higher power for aggressive riding; lower power saves battery|
|Battery Capacity||500Wh, 700Wh, 1000Wh||More capacity provides longer range|
|Suspension Travel||130/130mm, 150/140mm||More travel for absorbing big hits|
|Components||Budget, Mid-range, High-end||Prioritize reliability and performance needs|
|Frame Geometry||Trail, Downhill, Balanced||Choose geometry tailored for intended riding|
Test ride models to experience handling firsthand
Choose appropriate power and suspension for local trails
Focus on proper fit and size for best control
Full Electric Suspension Mountain Bike Maintenance and Care
To maximize performance and lifespan:
– Routinely clean and lubricate drivetrain
– Check tire pressures before every ride
– Change suspension oils and seals at recommended intervals
– Inspect suspension bolts for proper torque
– Check battery for charge; store properly when not in use
– Update e-bike firmware and apps
– Wash bike gently with water only; avoid high pressure washing
Practical Application of Full-Suspension Electric Mountain Bikes
Full suspension electric mountain bike excel at:
|Downhill Bike Parks||Increased high-speed control and stability on very rough terrain|
|Enduro Racing||Faster descents and improved traction on loose climbs|
|Bikepacking||Suspension and motor allow covering serious backcountry miles|
|Technical Trail Riding||Dual suspension provides comfort/capability on rocky, uneven trails|
|Maintaining Momentum||Rear suspension keeps rear wheel planted for constant traction|
- Open up rugged routes too challenging for hardtail e-MTBs
- More confidence tackling technical terrain and features
- Handling challenging descents at higher speeds
- All-day adventures covering large distances
Future Trends and Innovations in Full-Suspension Electric Mountain Bikes
Ongoing improvements in full suspension e-MTB technology include:
– Stronger, lighter frames and components to reduce weight
– More powerful yet compact mid-drive motors
– App integration for custom tuning and performance data
– Increased battery capacity for longer range
– Enhanced sensors to optimize motor output
– Automatic suspension adjustments via software
– Further geometry refinements for handling and control
– More durable, fade-free disc brakes
Full Electric Suspension Mountain Bike Frame and Suspension Design
The frame and suspension enable superior bump absorption:
– Suspension configurations like four-bar, horst link, and virtual pivot point
– Adjustable compression and rebound damping for fine-tuning
– Suspension frames made of aluminum alloy or carbon fiber
– 120-150mm rear wheel travel via integrated suspension linkage
– 130-180mm front fork travel soaks up bumps
– Carefully engineered frame geometry for stability
Full Electric Suspension Mountain Bike Motor and Battery Technology
Motors and batteries work seamlessly together:
– Mid-drive motors deliver smooth, instant pedal assist torque
– 250-750 watt power ratings; 60+ Nm of torque
– Custom tuning based on trail conditions and rider input
– Integrated batteries disappear into frame; removable batteries allow for swapping
– High capacity 500-1000Wh lithium-ion batteries for extended range
– Advanced control algorithms optimize power delivery
Full Electric Suspension Mountain Bike Drivetrains and Components
Key components influence performance:
– 1x wide-range drivetrains like 10-50T provide extra low gears for climbing
– Strong wheels with wide rims support meaty tires
– Large rotor hydraulic disc brakes for tremendous stopping power
– Short-to-mid travel suspension forks enhance control
– Dropper seat posts allow saddle lowering for descents
– Durable tires with aggressive tread for traction
Full Electric Suspension Mountain Bike Riding Dynamics and Performance
Full suspension enhances key riding attributes:
– Rear suspension maintains constant traction uphill over loose, rocky trails
– Confidence inspiring stability at speed downhill over chunky terrain
– Suspension absorbs vibrations and impacts for reduced rider fatigue
– Sophisticated software ensures optimal, seamless power delivery
– Increased capability to take on technical features and challenging terrain
Overall, the dual suspension makes trail riding more comfortable, controlled, and capable.
Cost Considerations for Full-Suspension Electric Mountain Bikes
As high-performance machines, full suspension electric mountain bike carry a price premium:
– Entry-level full suspension electric mountain bike start around $3500
– Well-equipped models range from $4500 – $6000
– Top-tier builds with premium components run from $6000 up to over $10,000
– Significant discounts available on last model year bikes
– Added cost compared to hardtails pays off via expanded terrain access
When evaluated against the performance gains, full suspension electric mountain bike deliver outstanding value and capabilities that match their price.
Full suspension electric mountain bike are optimized for:
– Technical singletrack with roots, rocks, and uneven terrain
– Riding downhill-oriented bike parks with rough trails
– Backcountry bikepacking adventures covering serious miles
– Enduro racing with steep, loose climbs and rough descents
– Aggressive trail riding and hitting jumps and drops
The dual suspension makes difficult off-road terrain much more manageable at higher speeds.
Full suspension electric mountain bikes represent the pinnacle of electric mountain bike technology and performance. With a potent electric motor and large-capacity removable battery integrated into a dialed frame with both front and rear suspension, full suspension electric mountain bikes provide an unmatched level of capability, control, and comfort for conquering technical off-road trails.
The plush front and rear suspension soaks up bumps, ruts, and obstacles that would overwhelm standard hardtail e-MTBs. This allows full suspension electric mountain bikes to tackle descents at faster speeds with greater control, stability, and confidence. The rear suspension also enhances uphill traction and grip on loose or rocky climbs.
Everything from the geometry to the component builds of full suspension electric mountain bikes is optimized for aggressive trail riding. Strong wheels and wide, grippy tires enhance stability. Large rotor hydraulic disc brakes provide tremendous stopping power on steep descents. Durable drivetrains stand up to miles of technical terrain.
For intermediate to advanced level mountain bikers looking to conquer rugged and challenging trails, full suspension electric mountain bikes are the ideal choice. Their refined designs and electric power take mountain biking performance to another level. Obstacles and technical features that would overwhelm most bikes are handled with control thanks to the dual suspension capabilities.
As electric mountain bike technology continues advancing, full suspension e-MTBs will get even lighter and more capable. But already, today’s models provide an unrivaled experience for trail riders. If exploring the steepest, most daunting backcountry terrain excites you, or bombing down demanding downhill tracks, then you need the traction, control, power and comfort of a full suspension electric mountain bike.
Q: How much suspension travel do full suspension electric mountain bikes need?
A: 120-150mm of rear suspension travel and 130-170mm of front fork travel provides a versatile amount for most riding. More travel allows absorbing bigger hits.
Q:Are full suspension electric mountain bikes heavier than hardtails?
A: Yes, the extra suspension components add some weight, but well-designed models minimize this. Other components can offset the difference.
Q:What maintenance do full suspension electric mountain bikes require?
A: Suspension pivots should be cleaned, lubricated and checked for play. Fork/shock oils should be changed at recommended intervals. Other components just need regular cleaning, inspection and replacement of wear parts.
Q:Can full suspension electric mountain bikes climb as well as hardtails?
A: The rear suspension does sap some marginal climbing efficiency, but the improved rear wheel traction on loose and tech climbs more than makes up for this. With the motor assisting, there is little disadvantage.