With the efforts of manufacturers such as rei co-op， electric mountain bikes (e mtbs) are constantly being improved. In order to develop the best full suspension ebike, e mtbs designers experiment with a variety of components in the creation process.
- Part 1: What are the Best Full Suspension EBikes Available Today
- Part 2: Full Suspension Electric Bikes Classification System
- Part 3: How to Conduct Electric Mountain Bike Testing
- Part 4: The Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike Buyer’s Guide
- Part 5: Electric Mountain Bike Riding and Maintenance Guide
- Part 6: Conclusion
Part 1: What are the Best Full Suspension Ebikes Available Today
There is a variety of full suspension e mtbs available for buyers to choose from. The following is a list of some of the best e bike full suspensions available.
Specialized Turbo Levo SL (2022)
- Lightweight frame and lightweight motor
- Power display facilitates user personalization
- Lower weight improves handling and agility
- Noisy motor
- Not suitable for taller riders
- Light steering means less control when traveling at higher speeds
- Frame: Specialized M5 Premium Aluminum
- Wheels: Roval Traverse 29
- Motor: Specialized SL 1.1
- Maximum assisted speed: 20 mph
The 2022 Specialized Levo SL has a smaller and lighter battery which makes the bike lighter. The electric bike also has a firmware update for the SL 1.1 motor which smoothens the motor output. This gives the e bike more consistent power when ascending.
The 2022 Specialized Levo SL falls under the class 1 e bike classification level. The bike is made of premium aluminum and is considered to be a lightweight version of the Levo. The lightweight SL 1.1 motor provides silent pedaling assistance for the e bike. The bike is built to look and feel like a Stumpjumper mountain bike. It provides a balanced ride and smooth suspension.
Additionally, the mission control app enables users to personalize their ride. The app allows riders to adjust the motor to their riding style, record rides, and monitor the battery. The ability to monitor the battery is a particularly helpful feature for riders who are looking to take long rides. The app also allows users to employ an optional range extender which boosts range by 50%. The bike also has a power meter built into the motor. This allows riders to see how much power they’re producing in Watts when cycling. Due to these technological advancements, the Specialized Levo SL is seen as the best full suspension ebike.
Orbea Rise M10 2022
- Ability to personalize what features come with bike when ordering
- Lightweight which makes it easier to maneuver and place on a car rack
- Longer lasting battery due to reduced power consumption
- Reduced power requires riders to make use of all the gears during steep inclines
- Greater dependence on manual pedaling can become frustrating.
- Frame: Carbon OMR
- Wheels: Race Face TURBINE- R30 15/110mm IS
- Motor: Shimano EP8 RS motor
- Maximum assisted speed: 20 mph
The Orbea Rise M10 introduced a Rider Synergy (RS) philosophy which focuses on the integration of power, weight, interface and autonomy. The e mtb depends more on manual user pedaling than its competitors which reduces power consumption. Additionally, the designers created a long and slim capacity battery that makes the electric bike look like a non-electric bike. The full size motor blends into the bike frame to further establish its traditional look.
The Orbea Rise M10 2022 model reintroduces the idea of mechanical pedaling through it’s Rider Synergy (RS) philosophy. Riders will benefit from a lightweight best full suspension ebike with a longer lasting battery life because they have to exert more manual force when it comes to pedaling. The battery can last 50% longer when compared to some of the best full suspension ebikes because of the lower power consumption. For users that plan to cycle for longer periods of time, there is a Range Extender. Orbea has been able to integrate all these new features without sacrificing the e bikes performance.
In addition to the RS system, the Orbea team has optimized the bikes frame. The traditional e bike is cluttered with sensors, wires, and displays among other features. By making the battery long and slim and camouflaging the motor, the bike does not look like a traditional e bike. Moreover, the displays have been removed from the cockpit, further reinforcing the e bikes non-traditional e bike look. By reducing the amount of wires and displays, Orbea was able to reduce the weight of the bike. All in all, Orbea is revolutionizing rider experience by getting riders more involved with the cycling process.
Haibike Allmtn 5 (2021)
- The Modular Rail System (MRS) allows users to personalize the bikes accessories
- The Debonair air spring adjusts to the riders weight
- The different sized wheels provide better control on uneven terrains
- The different sized wheels mean that if the bike is not tuned correctly, it can be imbalance
- The 6061 aluminum frame wears down faster
- Frame: 6061 Aluminum
- Wheels: Maxxis Minion DHF, 29″ x 2.50″
- Motor: Bosch Gen4 Performance CX
- Maximum assisted speed: 20 mph
The Haibike has created an e bike that can compete with the best ebike full suspension for a lower price. The Modular Rail System (MRS) allows for accessory personalization which lets buyers choose which accessories fit their needs. For example, the RockShox feature enables bike adjustments based on the rider’s weight.
The Haibike Allmtn 5 is the brand’s newest e bike model. The bike can reach up to 20 mph. Thanks to the different sized wheels -also known as mullet wheels- the e bike has great traction on both inclines and declines. The Bosch Performance CX motor assists biker pedaling especially when going uphill or downhill. The mullet wheel set and motor make it easier for cyclists to tackle a wide range of terrains.
Furthermore, the Haibike comes equipped with updated Bosch firmware. A feature of the update is an improvement of the center of gravity. The update gives cyclers the feeling that they are riding on a regular acoustic bike. The update also features four levels of assistance and cyclists have the option to turn the assistance off and use the electric bike like a regular bike. The Haibike Allmtn 5 mullet wheelset and updated firmware make it one of the best e mtb full suspension for both new and advanced cyclists.
Trek E- Caliber 9.9 XX1 AXS (2021)
- Lightest full suspension e bike on the market
- Motor and battery are easily removable
- ProjectOne Configurator allows riders to personalize the bike finish
- Not suitable for heavier riders and rough terrain
- Lack of physical buttons forces riders to look down at LED to see bike assistance mode
- Frame: OCLV Mountain Carbon
- Wheels: Kovee XXX 30 carbon wheels
- Motor: Fazua Evation motor
- Maximum assisted speed: 20 mph
The Trek E- Caliber 9.9 XX1 AX (2021) is the lightest bike available on the market. Both the motor and battery are easily removable and riders can keep the units off to take advantage of the storage space. The bike comes with the FAZUA remote bX which can activate the battery. It also features three system modes for users to adjust their riding mode based on their preference.
The inventors of the Trek E- Caliber 9.9 XX1 AX revolutionized the design to make the bike as lightweight as possible. The bike feels like a traditional cross country bike. It provides riders with a natural- feeling when cycling while the Fazua motor gives riders a boost on steep climbs and rough terrain. The IsoStrut technology supplies suspension and comfort without sacrificing efficiency. The components of this best full suspension ebike gives cyclists a natural feeling while also providing them with technological boosts to make the ride more enjoyable.
Additionally, the bike has many customizable features. The Fazua features a software called BLACK PEPPER. The software responds to the user’s pedaling, delivering more power when it senses tougher terrains. Moreover, the user can remove the motorized features to make the bike even lighter. As one of the premium priced e bikes on the market, the Trek Caliber 9.9 XX1 AX caters to the rider with all it’s customizable components.
YT Decoy Shred
- Stout 170mm Fox 38 Grip suspension fork works well in all conditions
- Flip chip geometry modifier
- Very advanced 4-link suspension
- Shimano XT drivetrain is rugged
- Mud is easy to accumulate around the elevated rear fork bridge behind the motor;
- Do not turn the bike upside down during cleaning
- Frame: Carbon/alu, 165mm travel (164mm measured)
- Wheels: E13 E*Spec Plus 110
- Motor: Shimano Steps E8000
- Maximum assisted speed: 20 mph
The DECOY is a gravity-oriented, powerful and fast E-MTB. It’s got the speed to keep up with your friends and the power to crush any Enduro mission you throw its way.
The DECOY is a hard-hitting E-MTB that’s built for gravity. It’s powerful and fast—it’ll get you anywhere you want to go, fast. But it also has enough reserves for the most demanding Enduro missions. This bike is designed for Enduro racing and for riders who love to push their limits—and their bikes’ limits—on descents. It’s powerful enough to tackle steep hillsides, rocky terrain, mud, and everything else that comes along with those types of rides.
Part 2: Full Suspension Electric Bikes Classification System
Electric Mountain Bikes are placed into three distinct classes. Specifically, electric bikes are placed into each one of these classes. In order to identify their best full suspension ebike, users can abide by the classification system.
- CLASS 1: Class one e bikes are also called “low speed pedal-assisted electric bikes.” This class of e bikes require the user to pedal and provide assistance up to 20 mph.
- CLASS 2: Class two e bikes are known as “low- speed throttle- assisted electric bikes.” This class doesn’t require pedaling and the throttle is in use when bikers aren’t pedaling. This class of e bikes tops off at a speed of 20 mph.
- CLASS 3: Class three e bikes are called “ speed pedal-assisted electric bikes.” This class of e bikes have different regulations based on local ordinances.. The motors on these e bikes provide assistance up to 28 mph.
Cyclists are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the local regulations of wherever they are riding. Following the regulations protects the safety of both the rider and others. The three class system may not be recognized in all areas. By understanding the classes that each e bike is categorized in, a cyclist can garner their own idea of their best full suspension ebike.
Part 3: How to Conduct Electric Mountain Bike Testing
In order to find the best ebike full suspension for you, you need to ride some bikes. The following is a list of how to conduct an electric mountain bike test.
- FIND A BIKE STORE: Find a local bike store to find the best full suspension e bike for you. It would be beneficial to have selected some bike models you’re interested in before coming to the store. This makes it easier to find a bike or for a store employee to help you.
- TEST A DEMO BIKE: Once you find a store, you can come in and test drive a demonstration or demo bike. Keep in mind that there might be some shortages due to covid. Demo bikes allow users to get a feel for the bike.
- ADJUST THE BIKE: Adjust the bike for your own comfort. Lower the seat and test out the gears. Also, feel free to ask for help if you need it.
- COME PREPARED: Be sure to bring a helmet and shoes to your demo drive! Sometimes, you may need to bring pedals or even your bike seat.
- TEST MANY BIKES: Don’t settle on the first e bike you try. Try out different bikes and find the right one.
- TAKE YOUR TIME: Don’t feel pressured to buy the e bike immediately. Come back a second time if you need to give some e bikes another try.
E bikes are a big investment. It is important to find one that suits you best. Testing e bikes gives you a perspective of what the e bike feels like when you ride it.
Part 4: The Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike Buyer’s Guide
Looking for a full suspension electric mountain bike buyer’s guide? When choosing the best e mtb full suspension for you, it’s important to understand the components of the e bike you’re buying. The components impact the price of the e bike. By understanding what features an e bike has, you have a better idea if the price you’re paying is worth it.
Usage: Knowing what you want to use your e bike for will help you decide what features it is worth spending on.
- COMMUTING: You can use E bikes for commuting, especially in big cities. The motor makes travel easier while providing a way for riders to get to work or school.
- EXERCISE: E bikes are a great way to get some exercise. Since the motor can be turned off, it can also be ridden as a traditional bike.
- OFF-ROADING: E bike motors are made to tackle a wide range of terrains. Thus, E bikes make it easier for riders to tackle any trail.
Wheel Size: When browsing the e bike selection, you will find a discrepancy in wheel size.
Wheel size plays an important role in a bike’s speed, stability, and handibility.
- LARGE: Large wheels are a great option for cyclists who plan to ride on a wide range of terrains. What is a big wheel? over 22 inches.
- SMALL: Small wheels tend to maneuver well and accelerate quickly. Small wheels are 20 inches and smaller.H8: Bike Construction: There are several components that go into the construction of an e bike.
The more expensive the features, the higher the price of the bike. The following are some of the components you may find in an e bike.
- ELECTRIC MOTOR: The motor is essential to the frame. Motors are permanent and cannot be changed for a different motor. Motors should provide a balance between the power and weight of the bike.
- BATTERY: The battery of an e bike determines how long you can ride the bike before needing to recharge and how far it can travel on a full charge. Batteries vary in size and weight.
- MATERIAL: There are four different materials that e bikes are made of: aluminum, steel, titanium, and carbon fiber. The more expensive the material, the more expensive the bike.
- FRAME: There are four different frames that are popular with e bikes. These frames are: traditional crossbar, step-through, trapeze, and compact mini/velo. The traditional crossbar resembles traditional analog bike. Step- through frames remove the top tube.
- SENSORS: Sensors are used to allow you to interact with the drive system. The cadence sensor is on/off, the torque sensor needs to apply force, and the advanced sensor uses both signals and measures rear wheel speed to determine when to contribute.
Trapeze frames are seen as “sporty” and feature a lower top tube. The compact/ mini velo has smaller wheels and can be folded up.
- BRAKES: Two popular brake options for an e bike are the hydraulic brakes and mechanical brakes. Mechanical brakes tend to be less expensive than hydraulic brakes.
It’s important to remember that the larger the brake motor, the more powerful the brakes.
- WHEELS: As previously mentioned, the size of the wheel plays a role in how the bike performs. Buyers should also consider the puncture protection on a wheel. The thicker and heavier the wheel, the better the puncture protection.
Flat Pedals or Clip-on Pedals
- FLAT PEDALS: Flat pedals allow your feet to relax and generally help you feel more confident and relaxed on the bike.
- CLIP-ON PEDALS: Clip-on pedals allow you to propel the bike forward on both the upstroke and downstroke; by taking the rear of the bike, you can climb over obstacles on the way.
Tuning My E-bike to Go Faster
- NOT RECOMMENDED: It is not recommended to increase the speed of the mountain bike. Firstly, it’s illegal, and if you have an accident involving someone else, you’re likely to be held liable. Secondly, it voids your warranty. In the end, it’s sure to speed up the wear of all your bike consumables, including the motor – which can get very expensive if it suddenly bursts and you’re out of warranty.
Options for Men and Women
There are three factors that play a role in the best ebike full suspension for men or women: the frame design, the seat width, and the handlebar placement.
- FRAME DESIGN: Women tend to be smaller than men. When looking for a comfortable e mtb frame design, a buyer should consider the space between the seat and the pedal.
- SEAT: A comfortable seat provides a more comfortable ride. When choosing a bike seat, buyers will choose between a wide vs. narrow seat. Wide seats are more accommodating for wider hips while narrow, long seats permit more space.
- HANDLEBARS: When looking at handlebars, a buyer should consider the length of the stem. The shorter the stem, the closer the handlebars are.H10: Purchase Convenience
By familiarizing yourself with the aspects of the best e mtb full suspension, you will have a better time deciding how much you want to spend on a bike. The convenience of the purchase is based on individual decision. In sum, a buyer should ask him/ or herself:
- Which bike is best for me?
- Which bike is within my budget?
- How often will I ride it?
- Which components are most important to me?
- Where will I ride the bike?
E-bikes are a major investment and buyers should consider their convenience before purchasing.
Part 5: Electric Mountain Bike Riding and Maintenance Guide
Electric mountain bikes don’t just need to be bought, they also need certain riding skills and maintenance precautions.
Is it Safe to Ride An Electric Mountain Bike
Electric mountain bikes are about the same risk as other standard bikes, as electric mountain bikes typically don’t go faster than 25 mph. Electric mountain bikes are usually fitted with small electric motors, which are not powerful enough to cause real danger on the road. However, the premise of all this is that you must be familiar with the various accessories and devices of mountain bikes, remember to wear a helmet, and obey the riding traffic rules.
How to Climb A Steep Hill
With certain riding skills, the existence of electric mountain bikes makes it possible to climb steep hills. The most important thing about climbing is to keep the front wheel of the mountain bike on the ground. You can adjust the angle of the saddle according to the size of the slope, let your body weight move forward, and keep the cranks turning to ensure that the motor stays engaged.
Battery storage on electric mountain bikes is more important than other conventional mountain bikes. Store batteries between 10-20°C out of direct sunlight. If that’s not possible, consider using a thermal blanket (basically an insulating sleeve) to store it in as it will maintain a better temperature.
If you’re not going to ride for a while, remove the battery from the bike and store it at home at about 60% charge (the exact amount varies by brand). Please fully charge before use.
How to Keep An Electric Bike Lubricated
Firstly, e-bike drivetrains have a long life, huge power and torque on the chain, and shifting under loads unimaginable on a normal bike. This means keeping the chain and rollers well lubricated is crucial. Secondly, after washing, make sure the chain is clean and dry. You can pedal the chain backwards and lubricate each link. Heavy-duty wet lube is a good choice. After oiling each link, take a rag and run the chain through it to remove excess.
How to Clean An Electric Mountain Bike
It’s a good idea to wash your electric mountain bike after every ride. Firstly, be careful not to use a jet washer to avoid damaging small parts. Secondly, avoid degreasers and bike shampoos – use garden hoses or water from a bucket, and a series of brushes to get into awkward areas around cranksets and motors.
Part 6: Conclusion
Buying an e-mtb can get overwhelming. There are many to choose from and each bike has different performance abilities. By familiarizing yourself with the full suspension e bikes as well as their components, buyers will have an easier time buying their own bike. E-mtb continue to rise in popularity and each year brings even more advanced technology bikes that change the I’m on my way riders experience cycling.