The forest of dean mountain biking trails is very popular: every rider wants to go down those trails at least once. But do you have a suitable mountain bike? If you are searching for your next purchase, here are some useful recommendations!
Videos of riders going through the forest of dean biking trails are all over the Internet. But if you’re planning on making that experience, you need a quality and stable mountain bike. Then, let’s take a look at the best options that the market can offer this year!
- Part 1: The Best Few Mountain Bikes
- Part 2: Classification of Mountain Bikes
- Part 3: How to Test Mountain Bikes
- Part 4: Mountain Bike Buyer’s Guide
Part 1: The Best Few Mountain Bikes
Niner Air 9 2-Star
The Niner Air 9 2-Start comes at about $2000.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- Suitable for performance riders
- Excellent value for money
- Aluminum hardtail frame
- 120mm suspension fork
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- It doesn’t come with a dropper post, but you can fit one
- Frame: Niner Hydroformed and Welded aluminum
- Fork: Marzocchi Bomber Z2, 120 mm Travel, Boost Spacing, 51mm offset
- Headset: Niner Internal ZS SHIS ZS44/ZS56
- Shifters: SRAM SX Eagle, 12-speed
- REAR derailleur: SRAM SX Eagle
- Chain: SRAM SX Eagle
- Brakes: SRAM DB Level, 180mm front, 160 mm rear
- Wheelset: Niner Alloy, Boost hubs
- Tires: Maxxis Minion DHF 3C/EXO/TR, 29 x 2.5’’ WT, Maxxis Rekon 3C/EXO/TR 29 x 2.4’’ WT
- Saddle: Niner Custom TR with Cr-Mo Rails
Niner is a well-known mountain bike brand, famous for providing customers with performance mountain bikes at the fairest prices. What’s more, with this Air 9 mountain bike, Niner has confirmed its talent in designing mountain bikes suitable for advanced needs, making a $2000-mountain bike suitable for forest of dean mountain biking trails.
Like all Niner bikes, the Air 9 2-Star is also dedicated to performance riders. This is one of the best value mtb if you are interested in experiences like the forest of dean mountain bike trails.
It has an aluminum alloy frame with a 120 mm suspension fork and a 12-speed drivetrain. The geometry of the bike is suitable for top-class bikers, but the characteristics and the price make it suitable even for advanced amateurs.
Ghost – SLAMR 2.9
The Ghost – SLAMR 2.9 comes at about $2000.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- Agile and fast
- Suitable for trail tracks
- Exceptional value for money
- Adjustable seat
- Ghost customer support could be improved
- Frame: aluminum
- Suspension: full suspension
- Fork: RockShox FS Recon RL MXL Lite 15x100mm Axle Solo Air 130mm
- Fork travel: 130 millimeters
- Rear shock: RockShox Deluxe RT3
- Crankset: SRAM Crankset NX Eagle 32T
- Shifter: SRAM SL NX Eagle Trigger
With this SLAMR 2.9 model, Ghost managed to provide their customers with an agile bike that is also fast in any condition. The stability and lightness also provide full control for trail performance.
The Ghost SLAMR 2.9 is a stable and sturdy mountain bike that comes at an affordable price, especially if we take into consideration its amazing features: it has a RochSHok Judy drivetrain with 12 speeds and an SRAM SL NX Eagle Trigger shifter.
This bike is very lightweight, so it’s suitable for going uphill, but it can also be very fast.
Part 2: Classification of Mountain Bikes
Mountain bikes look all similar but there are actually different types:
- Hardtail mountain bikes: provided with a front suspension that can absorb the impact of bumps, rocks, and anything that you come across on the trails. Also suitable for the forest of dean mountain biking trails.
- Full suspension: a bike that has both front and rear suspensions. Also suitable for forest of dean mountain biking trails, but more expensive.
- Cross country mountain bikes: they have shorter travel, they are faster and more agile but less stable (not suitable for beginners).
- Enduro mountain bikes: bikes made for extreme climbs, descent, and technical trails. Very expensive, and not suitable for beginners.
Part 3: How to Test Mountain Bikes
If you have the possibility of testing your new mountain bike before purchasing it, what should you pay attention to?
- Size: make sure your mountain bike fits you properly;
- Weight: test the bike uphill, if it’s too heavy for you, you’ll make more effort than what you’d expect;
- Shift: try the shifter and make sure you’re comfortable with it
- Seat: you can also try out the seat, even though this is the cheapest element that can be replaced if you don’t like it.
Part 4: Mountain Bike Buyer’s Guide
The first thing you should think of is how you want to use your mountain bike: if you also want to commute with it, for example, pick one of the two models we’ve recommended in this article, or even a cheaper one.
If you want to go down extreme descent, make sure your mountain bike is equipped with good suspensions and everything it needs to ensure your safety, even if you need to spend a lot on it!
Wheel Size Selection
Wheel size selection depends on your height and strength. First, pick the bike size based on your height, and then test the mountain bike for a short distance: if the wheels are too large for you you’ll feel unstable.
Choice of Bicycle Structure
Mountain bikes can come with different geometries. Therefore, if you are a beginner, this won’t be a priority for you. However, make sure you feel comfortable and stable on your new mountain bike.
Men’s and Women’s Choice
Men’s bikes are bigger and heavier than women’s bikes. This shouldn’t be too limiting though: if you are a young light and short boy, a women’s bike would be more comfortable and stable for you. In the same way, if you are a tall woman, you may find a man’s bike more suitable for your size.
The Convenience of Purchase Choice
Your budget is important as well. Because sometimes you need to accept a compromise between the features you want and the money you can afford to spend on a bicycle. However, there are plenty of options today and you’ll certainly find the best value for money for your pockets.
You have now everything you need to purchase your mountain bike for your next forest of dean mountain bike trails.